1/1 Photo of Cara's Cuban Bread
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
Cara is a wonderful woman on my cyber-playgroup. She makes this a lot despite having 2 preschoolers. She got it from someone by the name of Father Dominic. Times are guesses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine yeast, brown sugar and warm water in a large mixing bowl; stir to mix.
- 2Stir in 2 cups of the flour; beat well.
- 3Let stand 10 minutes for yeast to develop.
- 4Stir in salt.
- 5Add remaining 3 to 4 cups flour, about 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition, until a stiff dough forms.
- 6Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- 7Knead 8 to 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to keep dough manageable.
- 8Dough should be smooth, elastic and not sticky.
- 9Oil the surface of the dough and put it in the rinsed mixing bowl.
- 10Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 45 to 60 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- 11Punch down dough.
- 12Knead lightly.
- 13Form into two long loaves.
- 14Sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet; place loaves on baking sheet.
- 15Let rise, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- 16Using a sharp knife or razor blade, make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes in the top of each loaf.
- 17Brush loaves with egg wash.
- 18Place on middle shelf of a cold oven.
- 19Place a shallow pan on the bottom shelf; pour hot water into pan.
- 20Set oven temperature at 400 degrees and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until loaves are well browned and sound hollow when tapped.
- 21Remove from baking sheet and let cool on wire racks.
- 22Note: For the best results, this recipe requires bread flour.
- 23All-purpose flour works, but it often produces a low loaf if it is not kneaded thoroughly.
- 24Notice the absence of oil or butter in the dough, which makes the bread crustier.
- 25This bread is so good you won't have to worry much about leftovers, but if you think you'll use only one loaf within a day, don't freeze the other-- just give it away!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cara's Cuban Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1243.3
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 3547.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 252.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 39.8 g