Recipe by Darlene Summers
Make your own caramels for candy apples. I don't know how long it takes to cook this to 244°--my time is approximated (a guess).
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups white corn syrup
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, 1 cup of the cream, syrup and butter in a large kettle.
- Boil for 20 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup of cream gradually (do not allow to stop boiling).
- Cook to 244° on a candy thermometer or until firm ball forms when small amount is dropped in cold water.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Cool, cut and wrap.