Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fall means hayrack rides and crisp apples and muffins and pies, oh yeah!
- shortening or 12 paper baking cups
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small apple
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, if you like
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- Turn on the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups with shortening or line with paper bake cups. Save until Step 6.
- Put flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix. Save until Step 5. Make the Streusel Topping. Save until Step 6.
- Using a vegetable peeler, carefully cut the skin off the apple (throw away the skin). On a cutting board use a sharp knife to cut the apple into 4 pieces. Cut out the core and cut apple into small pieces (you should have 1/2 cup). Save until Step 5.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl. Beat with the fork until yolk and white are mixed together. Add milk, oil, and apple butter to egg. Beat with the fork until ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir with the wooden spoon until dry ingredients are wet. Stir in chopped apple. (The batter should be somewhat lumpy, not smooth.).
- Spoon some of the batter into each muffin cup. Sprinkle 1 rounded teaspoon of the Streusel Topping over each muffin top.
- Put muffin pan in oven. Bake about 20 minutes or until muffins are golden and a wooden toothpick comes out clean. (To test for doneness, use hot pads to pull out oven rack. Stick toothpick in the center of one of the muffins; pull out toothpick. If any muffin sticks to it, carefully push the oven rack back into place using hot pads and bake the muffins a few minutes more; test again.) Turn off oven.
- Use hot pads to remove muffin pan from the oven. Place muffin pan on the cooling rack. Drizzle top of each muffin with caramel ice cream topping, if you like. Cool muffins on cooling rack about 10 minutes. STREUSEL TOPPING: Put 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Stir with wooden spoon to mix, Use a fork or a pastry blender with a chopping motion to mix in 2 tablespoons softened butter until mixture is crumbly.