Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a warm green bean and potato salad full of sweet flavor from caramelized onions. Serve it as a side dish but it could almost be a meal all on it's own.
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb green beans, cut in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups bite-size pieces leaf lettuce
- fresh ground pepper, if desired
- Heat 2 inches of water to boil in 4-quart Dutch oven. Add potatoes, green beans and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook about 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain and set aside.
- While vegetables are cooking, melt butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions in butter 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Stir in vinegar, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour onion mixture over potatoes and green beans and stir until coated.
- Arrange lettuce on large platter. Arrange warm vegetables on lettuce. Sprinkle with pepper.
Family was split on this one. Wife thought it was too sweet. My son loved them. My daughter and I were indifferent. We ate them, but she wasn't asking for seconds. I made them with balsamic. I think I'll try the cider next time.
This was very good! I made this with Cumin-Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops Recipe #8407624. Wonderful recipe. Thanks.
Absolutely delicious! I couldn't get any nice fresh green beans so I used frozen French-cut green beans and added them to the potatoes during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. I used olive oil instead of butter to saute the onions due to personal health issues, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. My husband, who hates veggies, said I can serve this to him anytime I want!