Recipe by *Asha*
This is a warm green bean and potato salad full of sweet flavor from caramelized onions. Serve it as a side dish but it could almost be a meal all on it's own.
Top Review by gpotts5626
Family was split on this one. Wife thought it was too sweet. My son loved them. My daughter and I were indifferent. We ate them, but she wasn't asking for seconds. I made them with balsamic. I think I'll try the cider next time.
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb green beans, cut in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups bite-size pieces leaf lettuce
- fresh ground pepper, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 inches of water to boil in 4-quart Dutch oven. Add potatoes, green beans and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook about 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain and set aside.
- While vegetables are cooking, melt butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions in butter 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Stir in vinegar, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour onion mixture over potatoes and green beans and stir until coated.
- Arrange lettuce on large platter. Arrange warm vegetables on lettuce. Sprinkle with pepper.