Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Roasting the bones and the vegetables is the only way to go....it takes a bit longer but what a payout! I use Browned Flour for making gravy with this stock. Don't be scared off by the cholestrol count for this....remember that you are removing at least 90% of the fat prior to using.
- 2 large leeks, cut lengthwise
- 2 large yellow onions, cut in fourths
- 2 heads garlic, cut in half (remove papery outside)
- 2 large celery ribs, cut in half
- 2 turkey neck (or 4 chicken)
- 2 turkey wings (or 4 chicken)
- 1 turkey carcass, with any leftover skin (or chicken)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 -9 cups water
- Crack the breast bone of carcass and flatten as much as possible.
- Spray a lipped cookie sheet or roasting pan with cooking oil (lightly). Put all the meat and vegetables on sheet and roast at 450 degrees for 45-50 minutes until nicely browned. Shake pan several times while roasting.
- After browning, put all the ingredients into a stockpot or large crockpot.
- Bring to a boil (or strong simmer in crockpot). Cover and reduce heat to med-low and allow to simmer 21/2 hours on stovetop, 4hrs. on high in crockpot.
- Strain and discard meat and vegetables (I use all of it in the dog food I make).
- Cover pot and put in cool place overnight so that the fat will solidify and can be removed before using or freezing.