Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from 5 Star Tastes of the South cookbook. I have not tried this yet. Not exactly a dieter's dish, but this sounds good for a holiday table. (Tip: to easily skin tomatoes, drop them into boiling water for 30 seconds until the skins just start to blister, remove and peel, then core.)
- 6 large fresh tomatoes, skinned and cored
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 3⁄4-1 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- water, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange tomatoes in a baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, then dot with butter.
- Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
- Mix diced veggies with brown sugar and cook over low heat in a medium pan, stirring, for about 10 minutes.
- Make a paste of flour, 1 tsp salt, lemon juice, and a small amount of water (enough to make a paste).
- Stir into the veggie mixture and cook until thick and smooth.
- Pour over baked tomatoes.