Alex Guarnaschelli, "The Cooking Loft"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix water and sugar in a large skillet. Place over medium heat and allow to simmer.
- 2Slice 1/2" off the top of each tomato. Carefully, scoop out the interior of each tomato, placing the flesh into a strainer over a bowl. Leave the outer walls of the tomatoes intact. Press the tomato pulp through the strainer with the back of a spoon.
- 3Peel pears and dice very small. Add almonds and cinnamon.
- 4Split vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and add to the pears; place the now-empty vanilla pod into the cooking caramel with the star anise.
- 5Add orange and lemon zests to pears. Add juice of 1/2 orange, and the tomato liquid to pears.
- 6When caramel is brown and thick, remove from heat and add 2 1/2 c orange juice. Return to heat and allow to simmer until caramel dissolves into orange juice. Remove vanilla bean pod and star anise pods and discard.
- 7Stuff tomato shells with pears. Pack tightly and allow to overflow a little. Spoon a little caramel sauce into each tomato. Top with reserved tomato slices.
- 8Pour a little caramel sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish. Place tomatoes in dish and pour remaining sauce over. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 10 minutes. Baste with caramel sauce and cook another 15 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Tomato Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.5
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 88.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: