1/4 Photos of Caramelized Tomato and Courvoisier Canapes
Spicy black pepper crisps made with a touch of Courvoiser VS are the perfect base for a rich caramelized tomato, almond and herb compote with a twist - dark raisins steeped in the Cognac. The topping takes a day to steep, and tastes better done a few days in advance. The crisps are best done the day of serving although they will keep 1-2 days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt or 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons courvoisier vs cognac
- 3 tablespoons water, as needed (or more)
- cornstarch, for rolling
- 2 tablespoons dark raisins
- 3 tablespoons courvoisier vs cognac
- 5 large plum tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt or 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 green onion, minced, plus some for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F
- 2In a large bowl, combine flour, raw sugar, salt and pepper.
- 3Add the olive oil, Courvoisier VS and just enough water to form a stiff but sticky dough.
- 4Turn mixture out onto a cornstarch-dusted counter, knead briefly and form into a ball.
- 5Divide dough in half and let rest 15 minutes (uncovered).
- 6Working with one portion at a time, Place on a sheet of parchment dusted generously with cornstarch and roll until paper-thin.
- 7Transfer the parchment to a baking sheet. Repeat wth remaining dough and another sheet of parchment.
- 8Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for 15 minutes, rotating sheet after 7 minutes.
- 9Cool on the sheet.
- 10Once cool, break into "rustic", uneven pieces.
- 11Crisps can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.
- 12In a small container, combine raisins and Courvoisier VS. Cover and let steep overnight.
- 13Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- 14Place the tomatoes, cut side up, on the sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil.
- 15Roast for 35 minutes.
- 16Remove from the oven and sprinkle with raw sugar, thyme and rosemary.
- 17Return to the oven and roast a further 10 minutes.
- 18Let cool 10 minutes, then scrape the entire pan contents into a blender or small food processor and add the raisins (with liquid), lemon zest, ground almonds, breadcrumbs and green onion.
- 19Puree until smooth and thick.
- 20Let cool, then scrape into a bowl and chill before serving.
- 21Place 1-2 tsp of the Caramelized Tomato Topping on top of each crisp. Garnish with green onion.
- 22Serve within 3 hours of assembly.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Tomato and Courvoisier Canapes
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 47.9
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 238.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of