Spicy black pepper crisps made with a touch of Courvoiser VS are the perfect base for a rich caramelized tomato, almond and herb compote with a twist - dark raisins steeped in the Cognac. The topping takes a day to steep, and tastes better done a few days in advance. The crisps are best done the day of serving although they will keep 1-2 days.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coarse sea salt or 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons courvoisier vs cognac
- 3 tablespoons water, as needed (or more)
- cornstarch, for rolling
- 2 tablespoons dark raisins
- 3 tablespoons courvoisier vs cognac
- 5 large plum tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 green onion, minced, plus some for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a large bowl, combine flour, raw sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil, Courvoisier VS and just enough water to form a stiff but sticky dough.
- Turn mixture out onto a cornstarch-dusted counter, knead briefly and form into a ball.
- Divide dough in half and let rest 15 minutes (uncovered).
- Working with one portion at a time, Place on a sheet of parchment dusted generously with cornstarch and roll until paper-thin.
- Transfer the parchment to a baking sheet. Repeat wth remaining dough and another sheet of parchment.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for 15 minutes, rotating sheet after 7 minutes.
- Cool on the sheet.
- Once cool, break into "rustic", uneven pieces.
- Crisps can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.
- In a small container, combine raisins and Courvoisier VS. Cover and let steep overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place the tomatoes, cut side up, on the sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Roast for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with raw sugar, thyme and rosemary.
- Return to the oven and roast a further 10 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then scrape the entire pan contents into a blender or small food processor and add the raisins (with liquid), lemon zest, ground almonds, breadcrumbs and green onion.
- Puree until smooth and thick.
- Let cool, then scrape into a bowl and chill before serving.
- Place 1-2 tsp of the Caramelized Tomato Topping on top of each crisp. Garnish with green onion.
- Serve within 3 hours of assembly.