Recipe by 4Susan
An easy and flavorful onion tart recipe given to me some years ago by my mother. I'm not sure where it originated. Even my picky husband likes it. Feel free to experiment and tweak it with your favorite seasonings. Sometimes I add mushrooms, too, just because I like them.
- 1⁄4 lb sliced bacon
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 8 cups sweet onions, such as Vidalia
- salt and pepper
- 1 prepared pie crust, frozen
Directions See How It's Made
- Keep the pie crust frozen.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Halve and slice onions.
- Add butter and onions to the bacon in the skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for about 60 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes, until onions have caramelized a nice light brown color.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper or other seasonings of your choice.
- Cover and chill until cooled completely.
- Set your oven temperature to 425°F.
- Fill frozen crust with chilled onion mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.