Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I clipped this from the Montreal Gazette a few weeks ago, and want to post it here for safe keeping.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons thyme, finely chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- On medium heat, melt the butter with the oil in a saute pan. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add sugar and vinegar and cook until the mixture becomes jam-like, about 15 minutes (if it gets too thick, stir in a tablespoon of water).
- Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature. It will keep for a couple of days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.