Recipe by Diet It Up
I forget that shallots even exist. I always reach for an onion instead. In the name of trying something different, I caramelized some shallots to top a veggie burger. These were sweet and tangy with a hint of balsamic vinegar. I used oil instead of butter to lighten up the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shallots, finely sliced
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots with a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, then add the thyme.
- Lower temperature and continue to cook until shallots are light gold and melted, about 15 more minutes.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.