Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
For a luxurious vegetable side-dish try this recipe for whole shallots glazed with butter, sugar, wine and stock.
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lb shallot, peeled
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock or 1⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- In a heavy-based saucepan, heat the butter with the sugar until the sugar has melted.
- Add the shallots and mix well.
- Add the stock and wine, bring to the boil, reduce the heat to very low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes over a low heat, stirring now and then.
- Uncover the pan and simmer for a further 10 minutes until the shallots are tender and glazed.
- For Vegetarian use only the vegetable stock.
Gorgeous side dish! I served it with some baked chicken breasts. I couldn't believe how tasty these shallots were. Thanks!
Wonderful. I used Splenda in place of sugar. Served this with a salad and broccoli, alongside http://www.recipezaar.com/140428.
I loved it! I can think of many dishes to pair this with. I think it is great as part of a hot meal, but I think it could be equally good cold!