Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of Ina Garten's recipes that looked absolutely delicious.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs fresh shallots, peeled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 12 inch ovenproof skillet melt the butter.
- Add the shallots and sugar, tossing to coat.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the shallots start to brown.
- Add the vinegar, salt and pepper and toss well.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and roast for 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the shallots, until they are tender.
- Season to taste, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Very tasty, but DH thought it was too pickled, so I guess I should try balsamic vinegar next time. Two pounds of shallots yields 2+ cups of caramelized shallots. I made these to make Brussels Sprouts Gratin With Caramelized Shallots WS #511255.
Bought a 1 pound net bag of GORGEOUS shallots at a Big Box store and searched for the perfect preparation. Ina is SO good with SO many foods, hoped this would be a winner. Prepared 1/2 recipe as listed. Flavor was "nice", but needed something more flavorful. I think some balsamic would have been more flavorful than "red wine vinegar". DH enjoyed it more than I, but it was nice to have a different side to chicken and stuffing. Thanks for posting, Juenessa.