Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed,sliced diagonally
- 1 carrot, peeled,diagonally sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 5 tablespoons chicken stock
- cracked black pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced (or plum)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 24 plump scallops (typically sea scallops come about 30 per pound)
For the dressing
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock or 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 canned artichoke
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the asparagus, carrot, onions and stock in a small pan.
- Season to taste with cracked pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and keep warm.
- Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan with an ovenproof handle and add the oil.
- Season scallops on both sides with pepper and sear in hot pan for 1 minute.
- Add the sugared vinegar, rotate pan to distribute the liquid, and place in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Turn the scallops over, then remove them from the pan.
- Place the vegetables in the center of 4 warm plates, allowing the stock to spread out.
- Surround with 6 scallops and serve the dressing on the side.
- To make the dressing: Heat the chicken stock and boil the artichoke in it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place in a blender and puree, gradually adding the oil and lemon juice.
I made this for my husband and myself as a main meal. We both give it the 5 stars and hubby gives it an extra thumbs up.