Caramelized Salmon With Soy-Orange Glaze
- Up to 24 hours before serving, place the salmon fillets in a nonreactive pan. In a food processor, combine and finely chop the ginger, peppercorns and cilantro. Roll the salmon fillets in the mixture, cover with plastic wrap or another plate and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine the sugar and pepper on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Scrape the excess ginger mixture from the fish and discard.
- Press the flesh (top) side of the salmon fillets into the sugar-pepper mixture and sauté them, seasoned side down, to caramelize the sugar, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Quickly, before the sugar burns, pour the soy sauce and orange juice into the pan, swirling and stirring well to dissolve the caramelized bits.
- Turn the salmon skin side down. Lower the heat to medium. Cover the pan and let the salmon finish cooking for 5 to 8 minutes longer, or until it is cooked medium rare.
- Transfer the salmon fillets to a clean towel to drain before serving.