Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 25 mins
Note that 1/2 cup dried tart cherries can be substituted for frozen tart cherries.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salmon fillets, with skin
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 ripe mangoes (see note) or 1 papaya, seeded, peeled and chopped (see note)
- 1 cup frozen tart cherries, thawed, drained and halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint or 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Stir together brown sugar, orange peel and pepper.
- Place fish, skin side down, in a shallow pan.
- Rub sugar mixture over fish.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 to 8 hours.
- Remove fish from pan, draining off any juices.
- Place salmon, skin-side down, on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium-hot coals.
- Grill for 20 to 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily; do not turn fish.
- Meanwhile, toss together mango or papaya, cherries, mint, vinegar and red pepper.
- Spoon fruit salsa over warm fish.
- Serve immediately.