1/2 Photos of Caramelized Root Vegetables & Melt in Your Mouth Veal
2 hrs 30 mins
Baby Kato's Note:
The melding of flavours in this dish produce a wonderful sauce. Well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless veal rump roast, tied
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup shallot, minced
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, peeled
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 3 small turnips, peeled and wedged
- 2 large parsnips, 1 " pieces
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Sprinkle flour over meat and rub to coat well.
- 3Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Pour olive oil in large pan on medium high heat and brown veal well on all sides.
- 5Remove veal from pan and place in dutch oven or roasting pan and sprinkle with paprika and let sit.
- 6Add the shallots to frying pan and cook for 3 minutes, stir in vermouth and 3/4 cup of chicken stock, bring to a boil.
- 7Pour over veal roast.
- 8Sprinkle rosemary and thyme over roast.
- 9Bring veal roast to a simmer over medium heat, cover and bake in oven at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
- 10Melt butter and sugar in frying pan, add onions, carrots, turnips and parsnips.
- 11Coat vegetables well and season with salt and pepper, add the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock and bring to a roaring boil.
- 12Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, (or until all liquid has evaporated) stirring frequently.
- 13After the veal roast has cooked for 1 1/4 hours add the root vegetables all around the roast and bast the vegetables with the veal juices.
- 14Cover roast and return to oven for another 30- 45 minutes.
- 15Let veal rest, covered with tin foil for 10 minutes.
- 16Remove the vegetables.
- 17Reduce sauce and reserve.
- 18Slice veal and add to platter with vegetables.
- 19Drizzle with sauce and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Root Vegetables & Melt in Your Mouth Veal
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 718.6
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 282.8 mg
- Sodium 792.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 76.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: