Caramelized Red Onion Soup With Goat Cheese Crostini
- Heat a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray and add onions, garlic, sugar, and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, until onions are quite soft but haven't begun to color, about 25 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring with a spoon to loosen browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 4 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread goat cheese on the toasted bread slices.
- Ladle soup into 4 warmed bowls and float 2 toasts in each bowl. Garnish with thyme sprigs if desired.
- Serve hot.