Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Don't want to lose this. Copied from who knows which cookbook!
Make and share this Caramelized Red Onion Soup With Goat Cheese Crostini recipe from Food.com.
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup red wine, dry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces goat cheese (1/4 cup)
- 8 slices baguette, each 1/2-inch thick, toasted
- fresh thyme sprig (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray and add onions, garlic, sugar, and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, until onions are quite soft but haven't begun to color, about 25 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring with a spoon to loosen browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer over medium heat until reduced to about 4 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread goat cheese on the toasted bread slices.
- Ladle soup into 4 warmed bowls and float 2 toasts in each bowl. Garnish with thyme sprigs if desired.
- Serve hot.
real nice twist on a traditional recipe...i didnt float the toast and goat cheese to make it easier to eat...delightful
This had a bit of a different taste than your normal onion soup. The difference though was nice and the tang of the goat cheese just made the dish.