I saw this recipe prepared on a PBS show (I'll include it when I can remember the name!!) and made it, changing only a couple of details to suit my guests' tastes. The original called for 1/4 tsp. of roughly crushed black peppercorns added to the sauce and to use Stilton cheese. I'm going to try it for myself again using the recipe as originally written, but I can't imagine it will be too much better than this was.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the water in a 12-inch nonstick skillet and pour the sugar into the center of the pan, taking care not to let the crystals adhere to the sides of the pan.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is fully dissolved and the mixture is bubbling wildly.
- 3Add the pears to the skillet, cut-side down, cover, reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook until the pears are nearly tender (a paring knife inserted into the center of the pears feels slight resistance), 13 to 15 minutes.
- 4Uncover, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the sauce is golden brown and the cut sides of the pears are partly caramelized, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Pour the salt and heavy cream around the pears and cook, shaking the pan back and forth, until the sauce is a smooth, deep caramel color and the cut sides of the pears are beautifully golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6Remove the pan from the heat and using tongs, carefully remove the pears from the pan and place cut-side up on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- 7Cool slightly.
- 8Pour the sauce remaining in the pan into a liquid measuring cup.
- 9Carefully (the pears will still be hot) stand each pear half upright on an individual plate and arrange a wedge of the blue cheese beside it.
- 10Drizzle the plate and some of the pear with the caramel sauce.
- 11Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Pears With Blue Cheese and Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.5
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 234.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 30.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g