Recipe by evelyn/athens
A simple, tasty dessert. Simple to me does not preclude elegance. This is elegant.
- 1 lemon
- 6 slightly under-ripe pears
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flowery white wine, such as riesling
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- black pepper
- creme fraiche (recipe is in my recipes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze juice from lemon.
- Measure and reserve 1 tblsp of juice; add remaining juice to cold water in large bowl.
- Pare, quarter and core one pear at a time and place in acidulated water.
- Drain pears; pat dry with paper toweling.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When foam subsides, add pears; increase heat to high.
- Saute pears until just golden on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add wine.
- Boil and cook until wine is reduced to thick glaze, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle pears with sugar and reserved lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring gently, over medium heat, until pears are lightly glazed.
- Give a good grind (but not too much) of coarse black pepper.
- Serve warm with a dollop of crème fraiche.