This caramelized pear tart recipe is from a grocery store flyer. For the short crust pastry use Rich Shortcrust Pastry #140597 or no-roll short crust The Easiest Shortcrust Pastry #95116, or your favorite short crust pastry. I think this recipe would be equally good with caramelized apples or other fresh fruit. Serve with rich custard or vanilla ice cream.
- In a sauté pan on medium, melt unsalted butter; stir in 2 Tablespoons of the sugar.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until butter and sugar begin to turn golden brown and caramelize.
- Add pear slices and cook slowly over low heat to tenderize and caramelize, stirring gently occasionally. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Arrange caramelized pears in short crust pie shell.
- Mix together eggs with the remaining sugar, cream, ground almonds and pear brandy, if using.
- Pour mixture over pears.
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degree Celsius) .
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Rest for three to five minutes before serving.
- Serve with rich custard or vanilla ice cream.