Recipe by foodtvfan
This caramelized pear tart recipe is from a grocery store flyer. For the short crust pastry use Rich Shortcrust Pastry #140597 or no-roll short crust The Easiest Shortcrust Pastry #95116, or your favorite short crust pastry. I think this recipe would be equally good with caramelized apples or other fresh fruit. Serve with rich custard or vanilla ice cream.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made the pastry you suggested from bluemoon downunder's recipe, & it worked just fine! I followed your tart recipe right on down, even to including the pear brandy for a more intense pear flavor! Loved the caramelized pears & everything about this tart! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (30g)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided (80g)
- 3 pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 short crust pie shell
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup 15% cream (160ml)
- 5 tablespoons almonds, finely ground (75g)
- 4 teaspoons pear brandy (20ml) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauté pan on medium, melt unsalted butter; stir in 2 Tablespoons of the sugar.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until butter and sugar begin to turn golden brown and caramelize.
- Add pear slices and cook slowly over low heat to tenderize and caramelize, stirring gently occasionally. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Arrange caramelized pears in short crust pie shell.
- Mix together eggs with the remaining sugar, cream, ground almonds and pear brandy, if using.
- Pour mixture over pears.
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degree Celsius) .
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Rest for three to five minutes before serving.
- Serve with rich custard or vanilla ice cream.