From 5 A Day. Chef's Notes: The best hot dessert sauces truly begin with the caramelization of sugar. The rich flavor of the caramel infuses through the butter and fruit flavors to produce an exquisite taste. Although we have used a modest amount of butter, increased amounts are often used. This same sauce can be produced to serve over fresh strawberries, bananas, apples, nectarines, mixed berries, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons mild honey
- 8 medium ripe peaches, peeled and sliced or 6 cups frozen non-sweetened peach slices
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange, juice and grated zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored brandy (optional)
- fresh mint leaves, as garnish
- 1Place ricotta cheese in food processor and blend until completely smooth. Remove and stir in vanilla extract and honey. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (This can be done ahead, but the ricotta cheese will become more honey-flavored.).
- 2When ready to serve, prepare and premeasure all ingredients and have assembled by skillet. This dish will cook quickly. Organize dessert bowls or plates. Mound equal amount of sweetened ricotta cheese on each plate.
- 3Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat on the cooktop. Sprinkle sugar into dry, hot skillet. Shake pan to distribute sugar evenly on surface of skillet. Lower heat to medium and allow sugar to melt and turn caramel-colored, about 10 to 12 minutes. Do not rush this process or the sugar will burn and scorch. When sugar is mostly liquid and golden brown, remove pan from heat. Carefully add, all at once, the orange juice, zest, butter, and ginger. Cook and stir until sugar is mostly dissolved. Add peach slices, return pan to heat, and continue cooking and gently stirring until peaches are barely done and a rich, flavorful sauce has been created. Add brandy, if desired, and cook for about 1 minute.
- 4Spoon equal amounts of peaches and sauce over the mounds of cheese and decorate each with a fresh mint leaf or sprig of mint. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Peaches and Sweet Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.6
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.7 mg
- Sodium 78.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 44.3 g
- Protein 9.1 g