Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the Baby Let's Eat cookbook. Under the 6-12 months category, adults will love too (just not pureed!)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Place the oil and onions in a medium skillet. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until brown, 15 minutes.
- Add the apples carrots, and water. Cover and continue to cook slowly until the carrots are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Puree some of the onion mixture in a blender or food processor for the baby and serve the rest as is to your family. Makes 2 cups.
Winner for the whole family - our nine-month old tucked right in (but did look at me in horror as if to say "where's the meat, woman?") and the adults thought it went very nicely as an accompaniment to pork chops. Thanks!
I too found it a bit on the dull side, but still pretty decent. I added some apple juice as another reviewer suggested doing and that helped the dish out. I did not think carrots and apples and onions would play nicely together but all in all it was a pretty good side dish. Also I did not use the puree version of this.
My DH loved this I didn't bother to puree it, I did use a couple tablespoons butter in place of oil, and lots of black pepper, thanks hon!...Kitten:)