Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this in a newspaper, Wash. post, I believe..A healthful mixture of onions, mushrooms, and chard turns standard pasta dish into anything but.
- 1 lb linguine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces button mushrooms
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems trimmed,chopped (about 5-6 c. packed)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- parmesan cheese
- Saute onions, covered, 15 min.
- Uncover, cook 5 min.
- more or golden.
- ADD mushrooms, cook til most liquid has gone.
- Add garlic, thyme, salt, pepper.
- Add Swiss chard, stir til it wilts.
- Add 1 1/2 c.
- broth, bring to boil, simmer 2 min.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine (al dente).
- Drain, spoon veggies on top w/ some broth.
- Sprinkle w/ Parmesan.
Tasty recipe. Enjoyed the unique combination of swiss chard with the linquine and mushrooms. And thoroughly enjoyed the caramelized onions and they were cooked perfectly after the 20 mins. Other than reducing the pasta, I didn't change the ingredients and it worked nicely. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
As someone who cooks often with spinach, it weas nice to try a recipe that encouraged me to "branch out" and try new kinds of greens... the swiss chard added a unique flavor that balanced well with the sweetness of the onions. Delicious! We will definitely make this again. (note that it takes longer to prepare than the "10 min prep" listed--more like 40 min to cook onions and mushrooms)