Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I really don't remember where I got this recipe from, but it's easy, and comes out great.
- 2 large sweet onions (about 3 pounds)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Cut onions in half; cut halves into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Combine all ingredients in a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, at HIGH 8 hours or until golden brown and very soft.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 2 months, if desired.
I have made this recipe several times - love it - and I know that I reviewed before but the review is gone SOoooo once again this is a super recipe! Wonderful to have on hand to serve as a condiment or a side dish. This time I made it vegetarian by using Vegetable broth instead of Chicken or beef - equally good. I used it on a sausage in a bun for dinner last night and this morning as a side dish for my Sunday Brunch. 8 hours on high gets the onions really golden and ever so good - I said it before and I say it now Cajun Joe thanks for posting this recipe. 22 May 2010 I keep adding to this review but these onions are so darn good! The 8 hours on high is just perfect timimg Thanks again Cajun Joe
These smell so good when they are cooking away and they came out perfect. They are going to be used for bbq'd burgers melted under cheese mmmmm.
This is a great recipe! I made this recipe as written, but cooked it on LOW for 7 hours. The onions were soft and brown. Served this as a side to Romaldo's Carnitas. Excellent! Thanks for posting this keeper!