Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These made be made on the grill or in the oven, great to take camping as you can prepare the foil packages ahead of time then just stick on the grill, they are great on top of burgers, steaks and even fish -- one onion for each packet but of coarse you may make as many packets as desired! --- see bottom of recipe for oven cooking :)
Top Review by Merlot
Oh yum! You just can't beat caramelized onions. I prepared these in the oven. I followed the directions exactly except I added a splash of Balsamic Vinegar (hubby insisted) . Wonderfully sweet and a perfect dish for our steaks. Thanks for yet ANOTHER great recipe, KittenCal.
- 1 large sweet onion (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (can use 2 tablespoons) or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine, finely cubed (can use 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use Lawry's seasoned salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set outdoor grill to medium.
- Place the onion wedges on a large square of heavy-duty foil.
- Dot the top of the wedges with butter cubes, then sprinkle with bouillon powder, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper.
- Fold the foil square into a packet.
- prick a small hole in the top of the packet to allow heat to escape.
- Place the packet (hole-side facing up) on the preheated grill.
- Cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the onions are a deep golden brown (shake the packet or open and stir the onions about halfway through to prevent burning).
- For oven baking; place the sealed foil packets on a small jelly-roll sheet.
- Bake 375 degrees F for about 45-50 minutes.