1/1 Photo of Caramelized Onions for the Grill or Oven
These made be made on the grill or in the oven, great to take camping as you can prepare the foil packages ahead of time then just stick on the grill, they are great on top of burgers, steaks and even fish -- one onion for each packet but of coarse you may make as many packets as desired! --- see bottom of recipe for oven cooking :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large sweet onion (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (can use 2 tablespoons) or 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine, finely cubed (can use 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use Lawry's seasoned salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1Set outdoor grill to medium.
- 2Place the onion wedges on a large square of heavy-duty foil.
- 3Dot the top of the wedges with butter cubes, then sprinkle with bouillon powder, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper.
- 4Fold the foil square into a packet.
- 5prick a small hole in the top of the packet to allow heat to escape.
- 6Place the packet (hole-side facing up) on the preheated grill.
- 7Cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the onions are a deep golden brown (shake the packet or open and stir the onions about halfway through to prevent burning).
- 8For oven baking; place the sealed foil packets on a small jelly-roll sheet.
- 9Bake 375 degrees F for about 45-50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onions for the Grill or Oven
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.4
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 446.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 1.7 g