Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just love these sweet onions! I put them on grilled Portobello mushrooms, hamburgers, steaks, omelets and on grilled vegetable sandwiches.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb yellow onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, and brown sugar; stir well to combine.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
Perfect mix of sweet and savory! I used this as a yummy topping on pizza but it would be so great on so many things. Followed directions exactly. Thanks!
Used this recipe to make your mashed potatoes. Didn't have thyme or rosemary so I just added what I had in the pantry: dry basil. Omitted the salt because I think the margerine I used may have been salted, I don't know. Used 1 yellow onion and eyed it with the black pepper and brown sugar - came out great! Thanks for such a great recipe! It took awhile to make, but was well worth the time.
YUMMY, made with london broil. VERY tasty! Thank you.