Recipe by Rita~
I just love these sweet onions! I put them on grilled Portobello mushrooms, hamburgers, steaks, omelets and on grilled vegetable sandwiches.
Top Review by Josh W.
This is a very good recipe. I don't use thyme or rosemary because I use the caramelized onions in a variety of ways, some which don't go well with those herbs. If I use large onions I up the brown sugar to about double and sometimes I use butter and other times olive oil. The basic recipe is easily tweaked to fit your tastes. I use the recipe as written for making chicken meatballs. It flavors them beautifully.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb yellow onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, and brown sugar; stir well to combine.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.