Recipe by Sharlene~W
Caramelizing onions transforms them into a savory, almost sweet golden-brown tango. Sweet onions like Vidalia and Oso will carmelize a little faster, but any onion will work. I love caramelized onions as a side-dish for any meat dish or scattered over a pizza. Also good on hamburgers and scrambled eggs. Plus you gotta have them if you want to make French Onion Soup!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In 3-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions and garlic in oil until onions start to become limp; reduce heat to medium-low and stir frequently until onions are very soft and browned, 40 to 45 minutes.
- If onions start to stick to the pan, reduce heat further and stir in 2 tablespoons water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.