Recipe by Manami
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence. Served these wonderful tidbits and they were gone in no time flat! Anything with onions is a go for me!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, for brushing the bread or 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine, plus
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine, softened, for brushing the bread
- 3 onions, sliced
- 3 -4 anchovies, halves chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baguette
- 1⁄3 cup pitted nicoise olive
- extra virgin olive oil
- shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- chopped flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, chopped anchovies, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until the onions are sweet and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, shave off the rounded top and bottom of the baguette with a serrated knife so that it lies flat.
- Then cut the baguette in half lengthwise to make 2 long slices of bread.
- Brush both sides of each with the remaining 4 tablespoons butter.
- When the onions are cooked, put the bread slices on a baking sheet and spread with the onions.
- Garnish with olives, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley.
- Place in the oven and bake until the bread is crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Shower with Parmigiano.
- Cut into pieces and serve hot.
- Serving suggestions: store bought Italian cured meats.