Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
This is a terrific pizza! 8)
Top Review by fluffernutter
A fantastically delicious pizza. I love caramelized onions, so this one just grabbed me. I don't much like anchovies, but just a touch of anchovy made the "sauce" taste like homemade marinara. Now I'm dreaming of how easy the pizza would be made with oil-pack sun-dried tomatoes. Thanks for this great recipe!
- 1 (14 inch) prebaked pizza dough
- 3⁄4 cup dried tomatoe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled & thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, diced small
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, cover dried tomatoes with boiling water and soak until soft, about 45 minutes (soaking could take more or less time, depending on size of tomatoes and drying process).
- Remove from bowl, squeeze out excess liquid. If desired, reserve liquid for another use.
- Now, heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Sauté until slightly softened,a bout 5 minutes; sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Continue to sauté until a rich golden brown color, about 20 minutes.
- Add whole garlic cloves during last 10 minutes so they caramelize, keeping separate from onions when stirring.
- Heat oven as needed to bake pizza for crust.
- Place tomatoes, caramelized garlic, 1 tablespoon oil and some salt & pepper in a processor.
- Pulse just until mixture is pureed but has texture. Spread cooled onions on crust and press down with hand.
- Spread tomato mixture on top; press lightly and sprinkle with oregano.
- Spread mozzarella all around, then Parmesan and some extra pepper.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and topping is hot.
- Remove from oven and place on cutting board. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.