- 1 teaspoon oil (I use flavoured "Chili Oil")
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced (Walla Walla type)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 12 -16 ounces round steaks or 12 -16 ounces sirloin tip steaks or 12 -16 ounces flank steaks
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock or 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 slices of your favourite thick toasted bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice onion into very thin slices, separate rings; set aside.
- Slice steak, across the grain, into very thin slices, place in a zip lock bag, add cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce and balsamic vinegar to zip lock bag.
- Squeeze out air and massage bag to distribute sauces and vinegar through steak; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick fry pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until medium to dark brown caramelized; 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add steak strips with sauces, saute' til medium rare.
- Add beef stock or wine and deglaze pan.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast bread slices dark brown.
- Place 2 slices of toast on warm plate and cover with half the onion and meat mixture.
- Repeat on second plate.