Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs 30 mins
A Cuisinart slow cooker recipe.
- 4 lbs onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 cups meat stock, half chicken and half beef, hot
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- Combine onions, butter, olive oil and salt in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for one hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5-6 hours, until nicely browned.
- Stir every hour so the onions color evenly.
- When onions are done, sprinkle in flour and sugar.
- Cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add hot stock and cook on high for one hour.
- Reduce to low for 2 hours longer.
- Stir in Port.
- Serve soup with slices of toasted French bread, topped with melted Parmesan cheese.