Recipe by Julesong
The secret behind this lower-carb recipe is the slow, low heat for the carmelization of the onion. Don't rush it - you won't regret it! Very tasty!
Top Review by irishtwinsny
So delicious! I made 4 servings, broiled them in individual soup bowls. I omitted the Wasa. I served it with grilled roast beef and roasted red pepper sandwiches, but the soup is definitely good enough to stand alone.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1 g) packet Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 ounce dry sherry
- 1 slice wasa
- 2 ounces shredded gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3- to 4-quart pan, combine onion, shallots, butter, and Splenda over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring often, until onion is slightly caramelized and tastes very sweet, about 35 minutes.
- (If onion begins to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium-low.) To pan, add broth and sherry.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour soup into ovenproof bowl.
- Top with Wasa and cheese.
- Place bowl on baking sheet; broil 6 inches from heat until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.