Recipe by JC in Texas
We swap off the Pecans and Bacon, but the caramelized onions are fixed.
Top Review by sugarpea
Truly great Brussels sprouts, JC. I used the pecans rather than the bacon and subbed a little olive oil for the (1/4cup? of) butter. I used the mandolin for slicing the onion and settled on the food processor for the sprouts. I typically carmelize onions over medium-low heat for 35-45 minutes and did so here. We love Brussels sprouts and these are going to be regular items on the menu.
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 1⁄4 butter
- 1 cup pecan pieces (or crisp bacon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion in half, and thinly slice.
- Cut brussels sprouts in half, then cut each half into thin pieces. Chill the onion and brussels sprouts in separate bags for 8 hours.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add pecans, and saute 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove pecans. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or until caramel colored. (We even burn some of the onions.).
- Add pecans and brussels sprouts, and cook about 3 minutes or until heated. Salt and pepper and serve.