Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
We swap off the Pecans and Bacon, but the caramelized onions are fixed.
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 1⁄4 butter
- 1 cup pecan pieces (or crisp bacon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut onion in half, and thinly slice.
- Cut brussels sprouts in half, then cut each half into thin pieces. Chill the onion and brussels sprouts in separate bags for 8 hours.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add pecans, and saute 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove pecans. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or until caramel colored. (We even burn some of the onions.).
- Add pecans and brussels sprouts, and cook about 3 minutes or until heated. Salt and pepper and serve.
Truly great Brussels sprouts, JC. I used the pecans rather than the bacon and subbed a little olive oil for the (1/4cup? of) butter. I used the mandolin for slicing the onion and settled on the food processor for the sprouts. I typically carmelize onions over medium-low heat for 35-45 minutes and did so here. We love Brussels sprouts and these are going to be regular items on the menu.
Yum!! The flavours in this dish are wonderful.I used all of the ingredients (bacon, not the pecans) but I just added the sprouts (halved) and the bacon with the onion. I also added a few asparagus spears in the last 5 minutes of cooking. We loved this served with steak - my kids actually ate brussels sprouts and liked them.I thank you for the recipe - even though I changed it a bit!!