1/1 Photo of Caramelized Onion-Portabello Mini Pizzas
1 hr 15 mins
Single serving pizzas using refrigerated biscuits for the crusts. This is thick crust. For thinner crust use the 4 biscuit size can. (I used Pillsbury Grands low-fat Buttermilk) A RSC #16 entry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Italian sausages, uncooked (hot or sweet)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits (8 count)
- 8 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1In small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, chopped basil, oregano, garlic powder and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- 2Peel onion and slice into rings.
- 3Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion slices and saute for about 3 minutes, separating rings as you stir. Stir in sugar and continue sauteing until onion begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan into small bowl. Set aside.
- 4Remove and discard stems from mushrooms and slice caps into 1/4 inch slices, getting about 8-10 slices from each mushroom.
- 5In same pan used for onions, heat 3 tbs olive oil over medium heat and add mushroom slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, until mushrooms just begin to give off their liquid. Remove from pan to plate and set aside.
- 6In same pan, cook the sausages until browned on all sides and cooked through. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Cut them crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly coat a large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray ( or use 2 small cookie sheets).
- 8Open biscuits according to instructions on can. Take out 2 biscuits and with one stacked on the other, roll out on lightly floured surface with rolling pin, until 6-8 inches in diameter. Set on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining biscuits until you have four rounds.
- 9Divide ricotta mixture among the 4 rounds, spreading it out to cover to within 1/2 inch of edge. Use your fingers for this.
- 10Divide mushroom slices among the rounds, then the sausage slices, then the onions.
- 11Sprinkle 2 tbs. Parmesan on each round. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until crusts are done, and toppings are hot. If using 2 cookie sheets, place one on upper rack and 1 on lower rack, and switch them halfway through cooking time. (If making the thinner crust, bake 10-15 minutes).
- 12Remove from oven and cut each round in half and serve.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion-Portabello Mini Pizzas
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.3
- Calories from Fat 481
- Total Fat 53.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 2154.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 33.4 g