Recipe by Juliesmom
This recipe came from Nell Cruse of Ontario, Oregon, where it came in as first place in the Idaho-Eastern Oregon Onion Festival. It was published in Taste of Home.
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- fresh thyme sprig, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over low heat in a large skillet, saute the onion and sugar in the olive oil, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, golden, and caramelized- about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your stove and skillet (make sure to use a large skillet and don't crowd the onions in the pan, or they won't brown properly).
- Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Place the pork tenderloin in the baking dish, season with salt and pepper, and top with the caramelized onion mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes, checking the core temperature of the meat so that it reads 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cutting board.
- Slice and arrange attractively on a serving platter, garnish with thyme sprigs, and serve.