Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A healthy delicious pizza. MMMM reminds me of my favorite bistro.
- 4 yellow onions, sliced very thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 prepared pizza crust
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- gorgonzola (optional)
- Melt the butter and 2 tablespoons of Olive oil in a large skillet or cast iron pan.
- Add the onions, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until they soften a little.
- Add the sugar and stir every few minutes for 20 minutes.
- Turn off burner and prepare the crust.
- In a large bowl mix the cream cheese and 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Spread on top of pizza ctust and top with the onions.
- Sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese if you wish.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until desired results.
The secret to this... Brown sugar and sausage! Cook up onions as directed (you can use red too) use Brown sugar and after 20 minutes use sausage crumbles! I used Bob Evans breakfast in the roll bc that's what I had. Delicious! Oh, and use butter and vegetable oil to fry the onions. Vegetable oil it's the jet key to not burning onions. Cream cheese was nice on bottom, I did add just a tiny bit of onion dip mix, which I noticed but don't think I needed. Enjoy!
I really liked the mix of carmelised onions, cream cheese and gorgonzola but I did make a few alterations. I used brown sugar instead of white to help the carmelization process, I replaced the oilive oil in the cream cheese with light mayo to give it a tang and creamier flavour, and I used a little thyme in with the mix. I made mine with a thin and crispy style base, it turned out really nicely.
This pizza was just okay for me. I really didn't like the texture of the cream cheese with the warm onions. The flavor was alright. I added some sliced mushrooms and topped it with fresh mozzarella cheese. I don't think I'd make it again but thank you for posting.