Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Who doesn't like a good tart ;) A Simon Rimmer Recipe from Delicious Magazine.
Make and share this Caramelized Onion & Mustard Tart recipe from Food.com.
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 g coarse grain mustard
- 142 ml double cream (US, heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 pie crust
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic. Season to taste with salt & pepper and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often, until golden. Take off heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C Line a pie pan or loose bottomed tart tin with the pastry/pie crust. Line with greaseproof paper (wax paper) and fill with beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and cook for another 10 minutes until golden.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180°C In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, mustard and cream. Stir in the onions and the chopped mint.
- Spoon the mixture into the pie/pastry crust and bake for 20 minutes or until just set. Cool slightly before serving.
This is a very good tart. I was unsure about the amount of mustard--it was just fine. And the mint provides a very nice touch of flavor and color. My only complaint: the carmelized onions are so sweet that some counter note is necessary--perhaps some prosciutto or pancetta or ham, perhaps some pesto would provide some balance to the very sweet onions. I will certainly try this again.