Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Can substitute fat-free sour cream, fat-free milk and reduced fat cheddar cheese. From Taste of Home.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 bacon, strips cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until moisture has evaporated and onions are completely wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir for 30-40 minutes or until onions are caramelized. (If necessary, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if onions begin to stick to the pan.).
- Meanwhile, place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 18-22 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Add the sour cream, milk, pepper and remaining salt; mash until blended. Stir in caramelized onions. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
Decadent blend of flavors here, and then you top it with BACON. The men of the house ate it by the bowlsful. Made for PRMR.
Wonderful! I used russets because that's what I had on hand and subbed the cheese with a little mozzarella because my grandson used up all of the cheddar before I started cooking these, lol. We both pigged out on these - and that's unusual for him as he's not a big fan of mashed potatoes. But he LOVES caramelized onions. I also loved adding the garlic to the cooking water with the potatoes. That's super simple! Thanks GailAnn for another winner. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday Tag.
Followed the recipe right on down, although I did use 3 tablespoons of Hormel real bacon pieces instead of frying the bacon myself! Loved the flavor that the caramelized onion gave to the potatoes! Definitely a winning recipe & a keeper, too! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]