Caramelized Onion Macaroni and Cheese
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and 1 teaspoons sugar. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel-colored.
- Layer half each of macaroni, onions, cheeses, and cracker crumbs in a lightly greased 13 X 9" baking dish. Layer with remaining macaroni, onions, and cheese.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over macaroni mixture.
- Stir together remaiing cracker crumbs, melted butter, and, if desired, pecans. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.