1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is a standout from Southern Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) package large elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 32 saltine crackers, finely crushed and divided
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- 2Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and 1 teaspoons sugar. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel-colored.
- 3Layer half each of macaroni, onions, cheeses, and cracker crumbs in a lightly greased 13 X 9" baking dish. Layer with remaining macaroni, onions, and cheese.
- 4Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over macaroni mixture.
- 5Stir together remaiing cracker crumbs, melted butter, and, if desired, pecans. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.0
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.0 g
- Cholesterol 261.5 mg
- Sodium 1118.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 33.1 g