Recipe by Connie C.
Caramelized Onion Pizza with Macadamia Nut Pesto and Whole Wheat Flax seed Pizza Crust
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Congratulations on creating an imaginative and healthy vegetarian recipe using the Ready Set Cook #16 Contest ingredients! I was pleased to be a tester since this was so delicious! The macadamias were so good in the pesto that I might not use pine nuts again :-) This was my first time using flaxseed meal and the crust was easy and very good. Because of the dense pesto and fiber in the crust, one slice is very filling so the recipe can serve 6-8. I froze some of my pieces individually and they reheated beautifully.
Whole Wheat Flaxseed Pizza Crust
- 11.09 ml active dry yeast
- 236.59 ml warm water
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml flax seed meal
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml honey or 14.79 ml brown sugar
Macadamia Nut Pesto
- 473.18 ml basil leaves, packed
- 78.07 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 78.07 ml macadamia nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red pepper, fresh
- 14.79 ml salt
- 14.79 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
Carmelized Onion Ingredients
- 1360.77 g sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 9.85 ml rosemary (fresh or dried)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 118.29 ml arugula
- 170.09-226.79 g mozzarella cheese or 170.09-226.79 g ricotta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Directions for crust:.
- Mix yeast and honey or brown sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit 10 minutes until foamy. In large bowl, mix flour and flax seed meal with salt. Add yeast mixture. Mix well. Knead approximately five minutes. Let rise 20-30 minutes. Roll out and place on pizza baking dish. (You can decide if you wish for a deep dish or thin crust pizza). Poke the crust several times with fork several times to avoid bubbling. Bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes before placing toppings on pizza.
- Directions for pesto;.
- Using a food processor add the basil and nuts and pulse for approximately 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper and garlic. Mix together.
- Slowly add the olive oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse together, mixing well.
- Add the pesto to the top of the pizza crust and complete the pizza with the following ingredients.
- Directions for Carmelized Onion and final assembly:.
- In a large skillet add olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook about five minutes. Add salt, pepper and rosemary and cook an additional 15 -20 minutes over low heat stirring frequently until onions take on a brown color.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Top pizza dough with onion mixture. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven, add cheese and allow to bake in the oven further until cheese browns. Remove from oven and sprinkle arugula over top.