1 hr 45 mins
A friend served this for Christmas dinner with a huge beef roast--I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. This rich bread pudding is the ultimate comfort food. She said it comes from a William-Sonoma cookbook she has. This is truly a fabulous experience.
My Private Note
4 oz. r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 4 teaspoons roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups cubed crustless bread or 6 cups brioche bread
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Lightly butter 8x8x2" glass baking dish, or 12 individual 4 oz. ceramic ramekins.
- 3Heat butter in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- 4Add onions, garlic, parsley and thyme and saute until onions are tender and lightly browned.
- 5Remove pot from heat and season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Whisk eggs, cream, milk, 1/4 cup Parmesan, Gruyere, salt and pepper in a large bowl to blend.
- 7Add the bread cubes and allow to stand 10 minutes.
- 8Stir in the sauteed onions.
- 9Transfer to prepared dish or ramekins.
- 10Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- 11Place the dish or ramekins in a hot water bath, cover with aluminum foil and bake until the pudding is browned, puffed and set in the center (about 1-1.5 hours). Remove foil and allow the tops of the puddings to color.
- 12Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion & Gruyere Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.2
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 176.4 mg
- Sodium 465.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 13.0 g