Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Crustless quiche is a no brainer in our house. We regularly throw together leftover vegies, a little cheese, and eggs fresh from our chickens together, pop into the oven and Voila! Breakfast for everyone! The caramelized onion with spinach and Gruyere is my all-time favorite. I usually use fresh spinach but the frozen box is easy, too.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With a little canola oil in a frying pan over medium high heat caramelize the onions, stirring occasionally. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Squeeze the moisture out of the thawed spinach by wrapping it in a dish towel and squeezing.
- Beat the eggs and add the milk and whisk well.
- Season the egg mixture with salt and pepper and a few grinds of fresh nutmeg.
- Spray or wipe oil all over a deep pie dish.
- When the onions are well caramelized, place evenly over bottom of pie dish then evenly spread the spinach over the onions and follow up with the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top and pop into the oven.
- Bake until firm in the middle, about 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with fresh fruit and popovers hot from the oven!
Trinkets, I apologise for having had to use zucchini instead of spinach -- our only decent shop had neither fresh nor frozen! I liked your recipe for its simplicity and creaminess!! Didn't change anything else (I used 1 cup cream and 1/2 cup milk). I hope 5 stars show up, because the new format and colours have me confused! This quiche is soft and creamy, and quite delicious. Next time I WILL do it with spinach. Thanks!!
I made this the other night for dinner and it was fantastic! I serve it with garden salads and nothing else and it was plenty filling. The only change I made was using extra cheese (wanted to use up the rest of the block I had), therefore I had to add 2 extra eggs. I changed nothing else and it came out beautifully! We love quiche in our house and now we have a new recipe for life. Thanks Trinkets!