Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
One of my pizza craving inventions.
Make and share this Caramelized Onion & Gorgonzola Pizza recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced very thin
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 pizza dough (store bought,frozen or in a can)
- 4 ounces gorgonzola
- crumbled bacon (optional for the meat eaters)
- Melt butter over med. heat.
- Sautee onions until brown and soft 15 minutes, low/medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and cook 10-15 minutes longer.
- Set oven to 425°F.
- Oil pizza sheet.
- Add onions, gorgonzola & any extras.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until desired browness.
*Fabulous!* (yum-yum!) Used *5* oz. of good Gorgonzola ("Oregonzola" by Rogue Valley Creamery), and 1/2 lb. of applewood-smoked Neuske's bacon, cooked then chopped. KEY: Topped with some fresh basil. Oh....my.....land! Great! Might try using a foccacia crust next time, instead of the pizza crust, which got a wee-bit soggy. THANKS!
This made a really yummy lunch today! I added some bacon on top, and the saltiness worked well with both the sweet onions and creamy cheese. This recipe is proof that you don't need loads of sauce or oily cheese to make a moist and flavourful pizza. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2008.
Different in a delicious kind of way. I loved it and DH thought it was extremely good. I used less cheese than called for - maybe 2 oz instead of 4 and added the bacon crumbles. We will definitely have this again!