Lisa in Acworth, GA's Note:
I love this recipe! It came from Southern Living magazine and is one of my family's favorite. It takes a little bit of time to prepare and cook but is well worth the effort. Very unique taste with the gorgonzola and the sweetness of the onions. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 3/4 cup blue cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- fresh rosemary, to garnish
- 1Bring potato, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- 2Drain and keep warm.
- 3Melt 2 tablespoons butter with oil in a skillet over medium heat; add onion, and cook, stirring often, 12 to 17 minutes or until tender.
- 4Add garlic, and cook 3 minutes.
- 5Stir in rosemary; remove from heat.
- 6Mash potato with a potato masher; stir in 1/2 cup butter, half-and-half, and cheese until blended.
- 7Stir in onion mixture, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- 8Spoon enough mixture into a decorative, ovenproof dish or 13- x 9-inch baking dish to fill bottom; pipe or dollop remaining mixture over top.
- 9Broil, 3 inches from heat, 5 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- 10Garnish, if desired.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion & Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.5
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 74.7 mg
- Sodium 1105.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.5 g