Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Donna Hay recipe with the following variations - Pumpkin Frittata, Blue Cheese and Potato Frittata and Antipasto Frittata.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 8 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cream (or milk)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (aged)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Place butter and oil in a 23 cm (9 inch) non stick frypan over low heat and cook until butter has melted; add onions to pan.
- Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until onions are golden brown, soft and caramelized.
- Place eggs, cream and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine; pour egg mixture over onions in frypan and sprinkle with cheese and thyme and cook frittata for 5-6 minutes or until it is almost set.
- To finish cooking, place frittata under a preheated hot grill for 1 minute; cut into wedges and serve with hot buttered toast or with a spicy chutney.
- Pumpkin Frittata - Add 1/2 cup mashed pumpkin or sweet potato when whisking eggs.
- Blue Cheese and Potato Frittata - When onions have cooked in the pan, sprinkle 1 cup cooked cubed potato over them, pour in egg mixture and sprinkle blue cheese instead of cheddar over eggs.
- Antipasto Frittata - After adding eggs to the pan, top them with char grilled antipasto vegetables such as capsicum (red or green pepper), eggplant (aubergine) and zucchini (courgette), sprinkle frittata with cheddar and continue with steps three and four.
Scaled this down to 2 egg just for me. Caramelized one onion, added some cooked grated potatoes and some sautéed green peppers. Used Monterey Jack cheese. Great breakfast! Made for Variety is the Spice of Life event.
Such a quick and easy dish ~ and delicious! I created my own variation using one onion, 8.5 ounces (drained) quartered artichoke hearts, several kalamata olives, two eggs, 1/4 cup half & half, parmesan cheese, feta cheese, pepper, and thyme leaves. Served with sliced Kumato tomatoes. Tagged for The Variety Event 2014.
Wonderful! I made this for dinner! My variation to this dish was I added mushrooms and red bell pepper to the onions after caramelizing. I then cooked the peppers and mushrooms until tender, and added some bacon to the mixture. The cheese I used was Monterey Jack. It made for a delicious meal. Made for the Variety Event 2014.