Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Italian dish form hubcom.com
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the onions very gently in half the olive oiluntil very soft and golden brown. This will take about 30 minutes. Sprinkle over the sugar and cook for a further 3-5 minutes, until caramalized. Leave to cool.
- Beat the eggs with the parmesan, thyme, parsley, salt & pepper. Stir in the onion.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy based frying pan. Pour in half the mixture, making sure it gets its proper complement of onion. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until almost set through. Lift out of the pan and invert the fittata back into the pan, uncooked side down. Cook for a couple more minutes until the underneath is slighly brown.
- Serve or keep warm while you cook the remaining frittata in the same way.
Loved the flavors and will have this one often.
Love caramelized onions and really loved them is this frittata with the fresh herbs and the sharp tasteness of the parmesan cheese, though I did omit the sugar as I feel the onions are sweet enough as they are with the extra. Thank you littlemafia, made for ZAAR Chef Alphabet Soup.
This was a fine frittata. I used dried herbs instead of fresh.