Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious treat for onion lovers. From Cooking Light.
- 1 cup diced baking potato
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 lb onion, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 6 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Place potato and 3 tbs water in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, vent and microwave 4 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Set aside.
- Heat a 10" skillet over med-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray and add onion.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. While onions cook, add 1/3 cup water, 1 Tbs at a time to prevent sticking.
- Stir in potato, sage, salt and pepper. Spoon into bowl and cool.
- Combine 1/4 cup cheese, milk, egg whites and eggs in a bowl.
- Add egg mixture to potato mixture and stir well.
- Preheat broiler.
- Pour mixture into skillet coated with cooking spray.
- Cook over medium heat for 7 minutes or until bottom of frittata is browned and top is almost set.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and broil for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and top is set.
I made this with onions I had already caramelized in the crockpot. Otherwise made this recipe as directed. The flavor is so-o very good! I'll be making this one again! Made for Aussie #17.
This frittata was really good, didn't lack any richness despite only having four egg yolks in it. I made mine with one large onion, caramelized that and then made up the rest of the weight with leek because I had one to use up. I'm looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :D
YUMMMM! I made this for the March recipe swap in the Austraila/New Zealand forum. This is fantastic! I actually halved the recipe and used canned potatoes that I diced. The sage and onion with the potato is really nice! I love the sweet/salty and nutty (from the parm) combo. As a vegetarian, I am always looking for lowfat protien quick meals. I will be making this again! Thanks for posting little wing!